Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Concrete Jungle

Just a small town girl, livin' in a loooonely woooorld.

Ain't it the truth. So my last post revolved around being from a small town, and acknowledging people. Welp, here is a sequel to acknowledgment.

I've blogged about "barking" before. And a lot of comedians don't like it...not that they don't like when I blog about it, they just don't like concept of barking. They see it as comics being exploited. And to a degree, they are right. But again, that comes with the territory. But what also comes with the territory of barking is being ignored.

It amazes me how far people will go out of their way to not talk to someone. New York is a city full of impatient, inconsiderate, and selfish people. And I know this. Not only have I experienced it, but I remember a story awhile back about how a homeless man tried to save a woman in the streets of NYC and got stabbed, then lay in a pool of his own blood on the sidewalk only to be ignored by 1...2....3...4..5...6..7 people. Seven people. Seven inconsiderate pricks waltzing by a man laying in the street while on their cell phones, listening to their iPods, and drinking their little iced coffee mocha latte supremes. Keep up the good work New York. Unreal.

Granted, I'm not laying in the street dieing, but I might as well be. I might get more acknowledgement out of people doing that than actually trying to talk to them. No one wants to be bothered. People will completely and utterly ignore you to avoid any kind of communication with someone on the outside of their little electronic selfish world.

So again, I will say it, being from a small town, when you see someone attempting to speak to you, you fuckin' acknowledge them. I'm not saying you have to buy anything from them or give them anything, but at least show signs of life. A smile, a "no thank you," SOMETHING. But nope, people will keep walking listening to Lady Gaga in their iPods, pretend like they are texting someone so they don't have to make eye contact with you, and wear their big obnoxious sunglasses so they don't have to look at you. Look, I understand NYC has this big reputation of being tough, sharp tongued, and jaded. But c'mon, knock it the fuck off you pricks. Jay-Z shoulda put something in Empire State of Mind about that.

With that being said, goodnight New York City.