Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Whatta Maroon...

Now see, I told myself that I was going to show this thing some more love...and I don't. What is wrong with me?!

Well, I think I'm posting because I had a really good idea (or at least it sounded like a good idea in my head)...and that is, I've noticed that bloggers can write about ANYTHING. Usually, ANYTHING is a current event or something that is going on in the blogger's life at the time. Well I wanna do something a little different, and take you for a stroll on Nostalgic Lane. Tonight, I wanna blog about the movie Space Jam.

That's right...Space Jam, starring Bugs Bunny and Michael Jordan........yeah, I said Space Jam.



So before I talk about Space Jam, lemme talk about my feelings on The Looney Tunes in their most recent film, "The Looney Tunes: Back in Action." Fuck that movie.

Now, onto Space Jam. I can actually remember seeing this movie in the theaters with my cousins and sitting in the 2nd row. Now for those of you who don't remember, or are just an ignorant bastard and never saw this movie, here is the rundown...These aliens (The Nerdlucks and their boss, Swackhammer, voiced by Danny DeVito) run an amusement park on Mars, called Moron Mountain. Now Moron Mountain seems like a fun place, but they are missing something. Swackhammer knows that his amusement park sucks, and gets the idea to bring The Looney Tunes to Moron Mountain as the main attraction. So The Nerdlucks head to Earth to bring The Looney Tunes back to Moron Mountain, and of course The Looney Tunes don't wanna go...I mean, I don't blame them...they have a good thing going on here on Earth (even though now, there's a whole generation of kids who might never know who they are...which scares me) OH! By the way, while this whole "Nerdluck trying to kidnap The Looney Tunes" thing is going on, Michael Jordan retires from basketball, tries playing baseball, sucks at it, befriends Bill Murray and gets an assistant, which is Newman...but who really cares about that side plot.

So to make a long story short (too late)...The Looney Tunes challenge the Nerdlucks to a basketball game, The Nerdlucks steal basketball skills from NBA players, The Looney Tunes kidnap Michael Jordan through a golf ball hole, and face the Nerdlu...er, I mean The Monstars, at a basketball game.......I know, what great writing!

Now back to actually seeing the movie. I was always a fan of The Looney Tunes. Thankfully, my family loved them and introduced them to me as a kid. But I remember sitting and watching this movie in the theater without a care in the world...now, I knew that Bugs and the gang would win the big game, but I honestly had nothing else to worry about except sitting and enjoying that movie with my cousins. What great times. I still consider myself a kid at heart, but things are so different now, as far as responsibilities, chasing my dream, and blah blah blah.

But I digress...lets take a look at one of the greatest animated/live action movies ever created. That's right, I said it. Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Space Jam are probably two of the best, if not, THE ONLY two best animated/live action movies ever...especially Who Framed Roger Rabbit being in the 80's. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all about special effects and computer animation, Pixar, and everything....but they just don't make movies like these anymore. I understand that everyone wants 3D, flashy computer animation, and CGI bullshit....but c'mon, why can't we just crank out a few more animated/live action movies??

Well, there's an easy answer for that question....that's because Hollywood feels like rebooting franchises (that don't need to be rebooted, like Spiderman, Friday the 13th, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street) and writing shitty movies that had to do with old (but awesome) and obsolete television shows (A-Team, GI Joe, Bewitched, Miami Vice, The Dukes of Hazard, etc.) But at the same time, there have been a select FEW movies made from a television series that are actually watchable and enjoyable (The Flinstones, The Beverly Hillbillies, Get Smart, The Addams Family, The Brady Bunch...at least in my opinion)

All I'm saying, is that Hollywood isn't original anymore. Everything has been done pretty much. Original movies are few and far between anymore...everything is a remake, reboot, a best selling book, a television series, etc. AND QUITE FRANKLY, it's pissing me off.

I mean, c'mon...at least Space Jam gave us Lola Bunny.