Wednesday, March 24, 2010

This poor blog...

I really did want to start blogging religiously. Why the hell can't I discipline myself to write in this thing?? Even if it is about the movie Space Jam, blogging is blogging. I think that's one of my biggest problems...I'm not disciplined in writing. I'm not a set up/punch kind of guy at all. I'm a talker. I recently went out to eat after an open mic with some comedian buddies (Brian Baron and Rob Santos) and it's always good to talk with other comedians about what is going on. It's almost like they are all co-workers at an office and the bar or diner is our water cooler.

It's hard to talk to anyone else outside the world of comedy ABOUT comedy because it's almost just like any other job...you either know what's going on or you don't...and when you find someone outside that, it's hard to make them understand what you're feeling about your set, your shitty show that you just came from, or simply what you want out of doing this.

But after a little chat with Rob and Brian I realized a couple of things...one is, that me and Rob Santos are practically the same person. For those of you that don't know Rob Santos, you need to find him on Facebook or YouTube or even try and find him at one of his shows, because he is one hilarious dude. But Rob Santos is one of those people that is both talented on stage and a genuinely good person off stage. If there is one thing that I've learned from being out here, there are some people that don't have both of those characteristics. Everyone has their own agenda when it comes to this, and I understand that and respect everyone's dedication and plans. But coming from a small town, where everyone acknowledges you when you walk into a bar or store or whatever, I've noticed that there can be a lot less greetings, smiles, and "thank yous" out here..and I'm not just talking in the comedy scene (I love almost everyone that I come into contact with at the clubs) but just here in the city...no one wants to really acknowledge anyone.

But I digress. The one thing that I got out of the conversation with Rob and Brian, is that there are some people in this business that want to see you succeed and then there are other people that want to make sure that they succeed before you. Is that selfish?? I think so. Comedy can be a great thing to be surrounded by. I love it. It's been something that I've wanted to do since 5th grade. There can be some bitter people in this world...but for every one bitter person, there are at least 5 other people that are rooting for you and want to see you evolve, re-write, and succeed...those are the types of people that I want to make sure I continue to surround myself with. My philosophy has always been, every comedian, from whatever walk of life, brings something different to the table. I've said it before, and I'll say it again...everyone is funny in their own way. There are a lot club owners and industry people out here that watch comedians from time to time (which should be a little more often) and there are going to be many times that comedians either get turned down for something or given feedback that they don't want to hear. We all have our off nights...and I think that's what drives a lot of comedians. If you do good, you're addicted. If you bomb, you're addicted. You wanna prove people wrong when they give you the feedback you don't want to hear and you also wanna prove yourself wrong that you can do better.

What am I even talking about?? I don't know. But what I do know is that I'm satisfied with where I am right now in my comedy with a lot of comedian friends that I respect and admire, whether they be male, female, black, white, Asian, straight, gay, married, divorced, etc., we all bring something different to the table and we are all amazing/hilarious people.